Positive Quote: “Here is a simple but powerful rule: always give people more than what they expect to get.” – Nelson Boswell
I thought I would start off National Customer Service Week with a simple, yet great quote.
How do you give people more than they expect to get?
It could be something as simple as….
- Smiling when you are talking on the phone
- After 2-3 back and forth emails, picking up the phone and calling them to make sure you know what they need
- Saying ‘Thank you’ and meaning it
- Asking them if there is anything else you can help them with; rather than rushing off to the next thing
- Sending a thank you note if/when the issue was more complex and they partnered with you to get it resolved
- Using their first name
- Understanding their business, to get to the whys of what they are asking for
If you look back at the best customer service experience you ever had, be it at a restaurant, a hotel, or anywhere…. What do they share in common? For me, it is the little things; that extra step, like holding open the door for me, or remembering my name, or even just seeing a note and a mint on my hotel pillow.
In the grand scheme of things, we all are in the customer service business. The customer would be anyone we do something for or on behalf of. Your customer can be a fellow co-worker who depends on something you do to help them do their job. A customer can be the person who calls you just to ask a question that they don’t know the answer to. They way I look at it is… those that I speak to or interact with at work…. They are my customers….. and it does not matter if they are internal to the company or external.
Who are your customers and how do you give them more than what they expect to receive?
I hope everyone enjoys the start of National Customer Service week.
Have a fabulous Monday.