“There are no traffic jams along the extra mile.” – Roger Staubach

Image

Positive Quote: “There are no traffic jams along the extra mile.” – Roger Staubach

 

 

As we close out the last day of National Customer Service Week, I wanted to pick a quote about going above and beyond.

 

 

This quote reminds me of the saying that what you measure is what you get or something along those lines.

 

It reminds me of someone who used to work for me many, many years ago. I’ll call him Joe. Joe said all the right things; he would be the first one to jump in at a meeting saying how important team work and customer service was. Joe also worked the night shift, from 10 pm – 6 am on the help desk. I on the other hand, did not work those hours. However, I did ‘visit’ and meet with that team every other week.

 

Back to my story, Joe had many metrics he was measured against for service. After a few months I started noticing that Joe’s numbers did not change from month to month. I cold not understand why since his teammate’s numbers had fluctuated. After much digging and research, it turned out that when Joe had reached ‘his number’ he would stop helping people. He would tell them to call back in the morning or hang up on them pretending the phone was having issues. Needless to say, Joe received some corrective counseling.

 

That brings me back to the quote; Joe did not go that extra mile. He took an exit off the highway and stopped at a rest area since he believed he had done enough.

 

Due to Joe’s actions, it helped me work to revise the metrics used to measure what good was. Gone went the calls per hour, average talk time and other standard metrics and in came workforce optimization. This means if a person is scheduled 40 hours a week, it was expected that 85% of the 40 hours would be spend taking help desk calls. The other 15% was breaks, meetings, etc. It worked, and we saw a marked improvement across the board.

 

What does this quote remind you of?

 

Do we all go that extra mile?

 

Have a fabulous Friday.

Priscilla

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s