Positive Quote: “You are today where your thoughts have brought you. You will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you.” – James Lane Allen
I have been told that I have a tendency to over think things. I would agree that I like to think of some off the wall scenarios, or ‘What Ifs’. For example: Say my teenage daughter wants to go out to the movies with her boyfriend. My mind will race through the possible (not probable) scenarios….
• What if it isn’t a suitable movie?
• What if they try to get in to an R rated movie?
• What if they don’t have enough money?
• What if they are not really going to the movies?
• What if they fall asleep at the movies?
• What if they run into people they don’t like, how will they react?
• What if she is offered drugs?
• What if someone sneaks in alcohol?
• and the list of ‘What Ifs’ can go on and on……
Yet, this doesn’t make me tell her no. It actually has me saying yes, then as we say goodbye, I do the typical mom statement of “Don’t do drugs, don’t drink, don’t have sex, etc…” to which she laughs. Yet I know that somewhere it is getting through.
My particular way of thinking has brought me to who I am today and tomorrow, I will be wiser (hopefully), more tolerant, more patient, and have less of a tendency to overreact (the don’t kill the messenger mentality). As for my daughter, no matter the differences of opinions, I know she has a heart of gold and her mistakes are the ones everyone needs to make in life to learn and grow. Hopefully, I am showing her that everyone grows, we all make mistakes, and just because we think something doesn’t mean it is…. there is no other shoe to drop. We are who we are and we should embrace that while striving to be better.
I hope that my thoughts continue to take me places I have not been, to challenge myself outside of my comfort zone, to continue to grow…. To enjoy life….
What do you think of this quote?
Have a marvelous Tuesday.