Positive Quote: “Don’t be intimidated by what you don’t know. That can be your greatest strength and ensure that you do things differently from everyone else.” — Sara Blakely
I gravitated towards this quote. Perhaps it is because for the majority of my career, I have moved towards positions where I knew I didn’t know so many things; from a new team and new people, to a new role, to a new industry, to a new profession, to many other new things.
In all of them, I knew myself. I knew I could dig in, I knew I needed to ask questions, I knew I needed support, and most of all….I knew that I didn’t know and that I didn’t have the answers……yet.
To be able to enter an area where you don’t know much, other than the basics…and then to make a difference…those are the times that I feel the most sense of accomplishment.
When I am entering a new ‘something’, I have a few things I work to do consistently.
- Get to know the team
- Ask questions
- Watch and consume as much information
- Ask more questions
- Ask for feedback along the lines of ‘if you could change anything to make your job easier what would it be’. Getting to know the pain points of the front line staff is priceless
- Setup brainstorming sessions
- Work with the team so we all know what the end result should be, what are we aiming for, what do we need to do
- Separate the ‘big rocks’ from the tweaks that can be done as Business as Usual (BAU)
- Move forward, hopefully together with the team
- Then cycle, rinse, repeat
Continual improvement is not a one and done. It is not a check on a checklist. It is a mindset.
What do you think of this quote?
Have a great day.